About two years ago, I decided to leave my specs and switch
to contact lenses. As I was waiting for the ordered lens, I started having
second thoughts. I have been wearing spectacles since I was seven years old.
Then I became nostalgic.
My thoughts didn't let me do other works properly. My specs have stuck around with me through
thick and thin, and I felt like a betrayer for thinking about giving them up
like that. Besides, specs are a part of my identity. I have always been “the
girl with glasses”. That’s how people identified me ever since I started
wearing them. Suddenly I started feeling
like it was an essential part of me. Was I betraying myself? Will not wearing
glasses suit my personality? Am I turning my back on who I really am?
I had to order contact lenses and wait… because my eyes are
annoyingly “special”!!! I have myopia…
and astigmatism. My specs have both cylindrical and spherical powers. -_- So while
waiting for my new lenses, I thought a lot. I felt like a horrible person for
leaving my specs. It felt like I was leaving an old friend just because I found
a new one. I realized how much I loved my glasses. I told myself, “People can
call me chasmis, char-akhey or chasme-baddoor… Whatever they want to!!!”. It didn't matter to me because I was in love.. with my specs.
I was dreading the day I had to pick up my contacts. I went
there with my dad and tried them on. Guess what? The toric lenses weren't correcting
my vision at all. I couldn't read clearly with those on. The alphabets seemed to be haunted. I could see white image of all the letters behind them. I just couldn't read with those contacts on. It turned out that the lenses didn't have the correct powers. They were off by 45 degrees. We consulted the doctor and
he preferred the specs over the contacts because of my unclear vision. My heart
was pumping with joy. But in front of my dad I pretended to be sad. :D I
appreciated my specs form then onwards. Then my specs and I lived happily ever
af…
Wait a minute..
Recently, I've had a change of hearts. I've been wanting to
switch to contacts again. Specs bruise my nose in the summer. And I don’t like
keeping cotton swabs between my nose and the specs to relieve the pain. I hate that my specs slide down my nose all
the time after a few months of buying them. I hate not being able to see properly
in the rain. The glasses would be full of little water droplets, blocking my
view, and when I take them off, everything’s a blur. And I hate that they are
so damn bulky…. I won’t be betraying my specs. It’s not like I've been sticking
with the same frame since day 1. Some of them might have looked similar but still they were
different specs!! Besides, it isn't a
living thing and I should stop thinking about the feelings that don’t even
exist. This won’t be called betraying me. I wasn't born with spectacles on.
So today I went to have my eyes checked up. The doctor said
that glasses would be better for me than toric contact lenses. Now I think I’m
stuck with these glasses for the rest of my life. Nooooooooo..
No comments:
Post a Comment